Thursday, August 15, 2013
When Personal Becomes Professional
When Personal Becomes Professional
Lately something has been happening and I can't say that I like it so much. My worlds are starting to collide, to converge, to come together in such a way I'm starting to really laugh at the irony of it all. Looking back over the 10 years of teaching I've had, I can see a trend.....I can keep my professional and personal lives pretty separate. Of course there are things that naturally overlap like relationships, my beliefs system, and the nature of who I am; but for the most part work has been a place that I can put in its own category.
The role of a teacher has been a comfortable one for me. I know that this is the case because the position has a sense of control....I love feeling like I'm in control. I love knowing what's coming next and sailing through the plans of my day like the captain. Little things may throw me off course here and there but the majority of the time, I'm at the helm batting down the hatches.
Just like my students, I thrive in routine and knowing what comes next. I love the time frames of each day and knowing exactly when my breaks are. I have become accustomed to this position and title and I truly love and embrace all that it has to offer.
I also love to explore the new "lands" of teaching. To reach beyond myself and navigate to unknown waters. I challenge myself to always evolve and grow and it keeps my job fresh and new......I have found it to be quite a passion of mine.
Over the last year I have been experimenting with a new set of standards that completely changes the way I have been teaching for 10 years. I picked it up quickly from the moment I saw an example and have slowly re-vamped my teaching across all subject areas. The results have been indescribable and have ignited a fire and desire to continue on this path.
One trend that has been overtly obvious to me is the fact that the control factor has started to shift and change in a way that has been uncomfortable yet refreshing. My classroom became a new adventure and a place of treasure hunting for me.....I am loving this process.
One day an opportunity arose that challenged me beyond my abilities. Sure I had willingly soared through this uncharted land on my own....with the door closed.....I was free to experiment without fear, without scrutiny. Everything was going great when I was able to fail.
I got the email late Monday evening asking if I would be willing to have our local paper come to take pictures and see a lesson using this new strategy and standards. Of course I was willing! Eager and excited I sat down to devise my amazing lesson. Slowly I was realizing that I could only plan so much before losing my "control" over to my students. It was a struggle, one that I was fighting with this new way of teaching. I would become facilitator and teach through their discoveries. I knew very well that this lesson had a very high possibility of not going the way "I wanted it to."
And there it was, it dawned on me, I had to be vulnerable and authentic in the eyes of the reporter....I had to show a lesson that could "fail" or could be epic......either option wasn't in my control. I had to take a "risk," and be free to make mistakes. I had to let go and be OK with the outcome. As I pondered all these things, I realized that these are the foundational pieces I have had to build my classroom on.
I worked on creating an environment where my students try, fail, and build perseverance. I've had to make the curriculum challenging where they may not know exactly "how," but they have confidence in the process.
So here I was, in the same boat. I knew, if I don't take this risk, if I'm not real, if I fake my way through this lesson....then I will fail. I will fail what I stand for, I will fail in my determination, I will fail beyond the credibility of my lesson but the very core of who I am. I will be a hypocrite.
After this realization, I felt great, I slept great, and for the first time in a long time, I surrendered this to God. I knew that I was ready and willing to fail, even if it cost me the facade of perfection. I felt secure in being vulnerable and authentic. I was ready to be real in this setting, to surrender myself and my agenda and "let go."
So the fateful day came, I did my lesson and the student rose to the challenge and performed great; not by me or through me, but on their own, wrestling and excitedly diving into the lesson, and grasping the concept. I had fun, they had fun.
The reporter then started interviewing me on this new set of standards. I admitted that I really had no idea where the lesson would go, the students wrote down their own words and I had no idea what word they even wrote. I said, "I have to be vulnerable in these kinds of lessons, letting go of control and letting the students guide the lesson. It's hard but it's also amazing."
The article was on the front page of the Sunday paper. I cried. Not because of some sort of accomplishment on my part but more about the reality that authenticity is taking over.......everything. It's not always comfortable but it's my reality and I'm learning to embrace it. It's clear that this is a life lesson for me and a way that is taking over all the categories of my life. Surrendering to it is becoming a blessing, it's becoming my norm, it's becoming my friend.
So thank you authenticity for tearing me up and ripping through every area of my life. You suck sometimes but ultimately I appreciate that everyone can relate to you.....even the teacher in me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment