Elephants III
This "elephants" series began at the first year anniversary of my sons death. I anxiously anticipated it with fear and trembling not knowing how I would handle re-living such a horrible time in my life. My counselor told me the story of elephants when I was speaking to her about my anxiety of this significant date. She told me elephants remember where their loved ones remains are and every year they go to the bones and cradle and caress them lovingly. It's as if they are remembering them with the sweetest of memories and all they meant to them. Never before did I think I could relate to the memory of an elephant. But on or around February 9th, I lovingly remember my boy.
This year I decided to finally read all the cards and letters I received from everyone. I was overwhelmed by the outpouring of support and love we felt during this time. Dearest of friends called me just to cry, my house filled with flowers, my mailbox full of cards, and my fridge full of meals.
But I just couldn't read a single thing. I may have read them but the words were not penetrating my soul. I was numb.
It has still been too painful to read them until this year.....four years later. I cried at every one, mostly for the memory but also because I would see the name of the person from who it was from and I still know most of you all. I was touched at your words and gifts of concern. I wanted to say thank you but realized it was four years ago.
So now I want to take the time to say "thank you" to those of you who sent gifts and wrote to me. Even though its four years later, I'm still forever grateful for your support. The number one response in every card was, "I don't know what to say." I am still grateful you chose to write even when you didn't know what to say.
And for those of you who didn't know me when it happened but know me now, I'm forever grateful for your support in reading "how I'm doing....really." You take time out of your schedule to read about me and my journey and I'm so honored you would do that. For those of you who tell me you're a fan and give me so much encouragement, I am forever grateful and just blessed by all of you.
The second emotion that has been resonating with me this year has developed more recently when we had to deal with the loss of our family cat of 11 years.
The worst part of his death has been the fact that my five year old daughter is having to grapple and deal with his loss. Her insight in the issue has been simple and so healing for myself reflecting on this date.
It was pet week at her preschool and I knew she would feel the sting of only having one pet instead of two. I had anxiety over her feelings and emotions......I didn't want her to feel sad. But alas I know that she needs to feel all the hard emotions and learn to deal with them.
We printed out the picture of our dog and sent it with her holding our breath. Sure enough she comes home talking about how she misses our cat Pepino and she wants to bring a picture of him to tell the students that he is with Jesus now.
My heart broke knowing she was sad, suffering in her own way. And then she didn't bring it up again. So maybe it was over.....until today. Pet week was over and she brought Pepino up again,
"Mommy" she said, "I miss Pepino, can you print out a picture of him so I can see him?"
"Sure," I said. "Do you want to write him a letter? Maybe we can attach it to a balloon and send it to him."
"Mmmm, I don't think it will make it to heaven." she said.
"Well it doesn't matter because God can hear us without sending anything up in a balloon." I replied.
"Let's pray now, you pray mommy. Tell Jesus we miss Pepino."
"OK, (holding back tears) dear God, thank you for all the time we had with Pepino, we miss him but we know that you are taking care of him until we get to see him again. Thank you, we love you, amen."
MarKay says, "Dear Lord, thank you for watching Pepino, we love him. And thank you for the one pet we do have.....Sierra. We love you. Amen."
I cried as I drove home feeling the same about my son. I miss him and look at his picture every year. I know God is keeping him safe until I get to see him again and I am so forever grateful for what I do have.
I had MarKay. She kept me sane and alive during my most difficult days, I'd sit and watch her grow and love as I dealt with despair. And Piper......tears fall just thinking about how she wouldn't be here if Jerin had lived........I am so so so grateful for her. She is a spark-plug that I can't imagine my life without.
I also can see how God, my father, has had to let me "deal" with this loss. How his heart must have been breaking and how he must have wanted to keep me away from pain and suffering too. But he chose, as I did for MarKay, to allow me to feel and grow, all the while being there to help me along the way.
So this year Lord, I hold these "bones" lovingly and sweetly up to you. Continue to watch over my boy and teach me more about you through his loss. I love you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment