Most of you know this and in case you don't...... we don't have control. I don't usually consider myself a control freak. Perhaps it's because I've lived with this urge to control for as long as I can remember. So this "freak" in me is my "normal."
Crazy torrents of rain fell from the sky with such force, it made me shiver. I couldn't sleep. My fear was that Jerry was going to get in the car in a matter of hours and get on the road. I just knew I would never see him again. I felt panicked and had visions of horrific accidents in my head in which Jer would be apart of. I actually asked him not to go, my fear had officially taken over. I couldn't control the rain, or the other drivers, or the slippery roads. I was "out of control," literally and figuratively.
So as he walked out the door, I prayed. I prayed for God to protect him, I prayed for peace, I prayed and prayed. Then I realized that I also prayed for my baby two years ago to be ok, I prayed that he was alive and I other for peace of mind.
I can't control what happens in my life, but God can. why had He chosen to let my son go but he spared Jerry in a horrific storm? I don't know.....that's the problem.
Some people say, "let go and let God.". Well sometimes I really do let go and let God but it doesn't turn out the way I want. Sometimes it is painful and cruel. I have no idea when those things will happen or why. So, I'm in limbo. If I can't control what happens in life, can I ever find peace?
Here is where I should have more faith. I know, I just wish it was true. I don't know when God decides to let this life happen and when He will protect me from it. It is the first time I can put words to this out of control feeling.
I wonder if I will feel the freedom of not being in control one day. For now it is uncomfortable and awkward. I don't like it. The reason is I have fooled myself into thinking that I have control. That can show God how "good" or how much I "do" that he will protect me from anything. Allowing my son to die at five months pregnant completely rocked this faulty foundation. I realize now that building my life on this wrong foundation has shaped my relationship with God. I feel like I'm starting over, trying to figure it out.
I know I promised authenticity, to you and myself. I fear what you may think of me but also feel cleansed, so to speak, because this is the real me. The things you don't bring up at a dinner party....or ever for that matter.
The other night I told Jerry that I am broken. This mess is ugly. Thanks to you who love me despite of my mess and I guarantee that am not alone... for that, I am grateful.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sweet Erin. Thanks for your transparency. It's easy to compare ourselves to others and feel like everyone else has their life together, but believe me, we are ALL broken...some just choose to pretend life is peachy. It sounds like blogging is cathartic for you - I know it is for me. Learning to let go is SUCH a hard thing, and certainly not something that will happen over night. I'm on a similar journey and pray that with each trial thrown my way, I get a little bit better at releasing the false control I think I have/need.
ReplyDeletePraying for you...
Thanks Jen, awesome encouragement....
ReplyDeleteA broken, weepy, angry mess. I can completely relate. For different reasons and different life choices and changes, i understand your words and can hear and feel your pain and confusion. The mess that I am is human and I will not apologize or defend for it is my God given right to be so. I revel and hate my mess each day knowing one day my mess will end and peace will find me. I wish you peace and pray for your comfort. Our mess and pain is our own and I wish I could take yours away. I love you for all you are and for WHO you are, I also LOVE who you are becoming because you are no one but YOU! And that is awesome.
ReplyDeleteThanks Mon....love ya!
ReplyDelete