Today as we played out front, she wanted to climb "the wall." No problem I thought as I held her hand. But now she is two and her favorite phrase is "NO, I do it!" This poses a problem for the loving parent because I imagine her falling and cracking her head open. But after assessing the height of the wall, I realized that she wouldn't fall dangerously far and it would be on grass. Plus she wouldn't even let me hold her hand. So if she fell.... that would be her lesson. The fall would inevitably hurt and she would cry but it was her choice to not take my hand.
As I watched her in the backyard, she started climbing on our planters and jumping off of them to the grass. I started to go out to hold her hand through the whole thing but realized she wouldn't let me even if I tried. It is a harsh reality that your child doesn't want your help. When they want to experience the falls without you protecting them. I was lucky that she didn't fall but I better be prepared for it.
It reminds me of how God must feel about me. Looking at me through the window, giving me independence and knowing the fall is coming. Yet anytime I need help, I can reach out and His hand is there. Just like mine is for MarKay.
So as today is MarKay's birthday, the gift she showed me is mine. Thanks MarKay........and ultimately God for the lesson.
Beautifully put-LOVE the connection!
ReplyDelete