Monday, December 28, 2009

Fresh Fallen Snow



Looking forward to a new year is like looking at fresh fallen snow. Snow doesn't happen in my 'hood' very often but I was blessed to see it over Thanksgiving weekend up at my parents cabin. Opening the curtains of our room after a crazy tumultuous storm the evening before, was absolutely breathtaking and brought tears to my eyes. No blemish in the snow.....no color or tarnish. It was so pure and immaculate.
After looking at the beauty of the snow, we could hardly wait to go out and ruin it! We got our boots on and bundled up. We started to trample all over it, taste it, fall in it and picked it up from its perfection. Although it saddened me a bit to see the snow misplaced and disheveled, I realized that if we never went outside; we would have never experienced one of the best memories for me to date.
As I open the curtain to next year, I see that it is beautiful right now because nothing has happened. Nothing good or bad. It is perfect, pure and immaculate. My choice is whether I frolic and play while disrupting the perfection or stay inside so that I don't "ruin" what it is. I stay inside out of fear of messing up, getting dirty and real.
Whatever I decide, I am ready to kiss this year goodbye. With all of its good and bad and ugly. So much learning has happened and it will continue into the next year. Circumstances haven't been on our side but that doesn't mean next year will be any better. Maybe this year was the tumultuous storm that rages in order to bring the purity that was the next morning. That is the promise, the hope and the possibility of a better year that I hold on to. And that brings tears to my eyes......
Happy New Year everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Erin. I just happened to be on facebook when I saw your post that you had a new blog entry right before I logged off. I am so glad I got to read this tonight. What a beautiful entry! Thank you for that. This has been a really hard year on my end as well (along with many close to me) and I really love the picture you painted with the storm and the purity it can bring. I am praying and hoping for freshly fallen snow in our lives in 2010. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Erin! May God bless you guys in 2010!

    ReplyDelete