Sunday, December 9, 2012

All Things Heathen And Santa II

All Things Heathen and Santa

Tis that time of year again where I feel the sting when I see the various posts and questions regarding the decision to "lie" to our kids about Santa and the ever
popular "Elf on the Shelf."

Each year my kids bring a new perspective on the issue because they are growing and changing their own views.

This year as we were getting our Christmas decorations out my four-year old says, "I love this time of year."

"Why," I asked (really was waiting for her to be the best little
Christian and say, "It's because Jesus is born").

"Because Santa comes and brings presents!" She answered.

Hmmmm not what I wanted so I thought I'd try putting a little Jesus
in this conversation.

"Well, I love this time of year because Jesus was born," I said.

"Not me," she replied confidently. "I like Santa!"

Oh crap. I was ready to throw the Santa towel in. I'm ruining my child.
She doesn't care about Jesus, just Santa!?!? How am I going to undo this damage!?!? Clearly we aren't spiritual enough!

But wait, it gets better. Last year we started the Elf on the Shelf tradition.. This tradition is when Santa sends down an elf to be on the "lookout" and report back to him every night on how their little boys and girls are behaving. The next morning the elf is in a different spot making it fun for the kids to find him.

When Freddie our elf had shown up on the first day, MarKay was beside herself. She
said, "Daddy I'm going to go straight to bed because you know who's
watching me?"

I was thinking, "say Jesus, say Jesus, say Jesus".....then her eyes got so big and her voice got whispery and poignant and she said, "Freddie!" My husband and I sat there with that plastered fake smile as we nodded and listened to her be so proud of her behavior.

She gets it.  If she gives a good report to Santa, then she gets her gifts from him.  If she is naughty......no gifts for her.

Since then I have really put in some serious thought on the issue. I coming to realize that I'm not sure I want to replace the idea of Santa with the idea of Jesus.  I don't want
MarKay to think that "good" equals blessings or gifts from above and "bad" equals no
blessings or gifts. The number one thing I have learned on this
journey of life is being "good" guarantees you nothing. The fact is,
God doesn't want us to be "good" for Him. He wants to protect us from our
actions. Even so, I know a lot of "bad" people who get plenty of
gifts......

So I started to get used to the idea that Santa was "the naughty or nice guy" for 25 days of the year. Not to mention, I don't mind the good behavior
either. I've also eased up my guilt a little by incorporating the Christmas story into our elf
antics. Freddie has been "asking" MarKay (with hand written notes) what the "real" meaning of Christmas is. After I read the first Freddie note I looked at MarKay and asked, "What IS the real meaning? Whatever could he be talking about?"  She looked at me with her head tilted to the side.  "Hmmmmm......elves!?" she replied. Crap again!  Good thing I placed Freddie in the nativity scene to give her a hint.

I said, "Oh wait! On this letter Freddie says his location gives you a hint.  Where is Freddie? What around him could be the REAL meaning of Christmas?"

"Ohhhhhh baby Jesus." She said almost as if like she was discovering it for the first time too.

Let me tell you, this little tactic has worked.  I have found myself showing picture books of Mary and Joseph traveling to Bethlehem to the elf
as I'm reading them to my girls. Markay takes it even further and will show him her Sunday school papers and explain every detail of them too. She really does know a lot about Jesus.

Today I was wearing a "Jesus" shirt that I got from my church. It has a large silhouette of long hair and a beard on it.  I was saying goodbye to my girls as I was rushing out the door to make a meeting. As I said goodbye to
MarKay she yelled down the hall, "you going to wear your Jesus shirt?"

"Yep wearing the Jesus shirt,"I said.

"Well just remember, Jesus is always with you, you don't need a shirt
for that" she yelled back.

At the time I thought it was cute but now I think it is profound. Quite honestly
it is the very thing I want her to build her entire life upon. Whether you are "bad"
or "good," in the trenches or on a mountaintop.....whether you are
basking in His Glory or barely getting out of bed......Jesus is always
with you. He loves you.....no matter what.

When she sees the "bad guys" seemingly  get all the glory, or when she feels she's done everything "right" and still falls flat on her face, I pray she remembers, Jesus is always with her. When tragedy, fear, and anger are her friends and God is her enemy I pray she knows Jesus is always with her. When she holds the hand of her one true love and holds the head of her firstborn child I pray she feels that Jesus is always with her. And when I'm no longer here to tell her that, I pray she lives like Jesus is always with her.

So December 1st through the 25th can have the magic, mystery and fun of the elves and Santa.  I will gladly take all of the 365 days that have Jesus.  I decided that I'm ok with that because somehow someway my child is getting the REAL meaning of Christmas without me even trying.



No comments:

Post a Comment