Well since I'm being authentic, I thought I would bring up the heathen ideal of Santa. I'm not gonna lie, we believe that Jesus is the reason for the season and everything Christian. I'd been toying with the idea of allowing the idea of Santa into our home especially after being "authentic" and real I didn't want to feel like I was lying to our children. I've noticed quite a bit of discussion on this topic especially in the Christian circle. I wasn't 100% on the issue until....we went to see Santa.
MarKay had her list, she rehearsed her lines, she was ready. She couldn't nap she was so excited and she was trying her best to act perfect. Everything she did, she talked about him. And then it was her turn.....she pranced up to him and sat right down. We took pictures and then it happened...... he set her down and looked right at her and they had a little chat. It was so sweet and intimate, I wished I knew what they were talking about. They were having their own little moment where she was sharing her wishes, hopes, dreams, and desires. He smiled and nodded as he listened intently repeating what she was saying. She giggled and knew he was only focused on her, no one else existed. He knew her, just like she had hoped for.
Then it dawned on me.... this is a perfect picture of our relationship with our heavenly father. Anticipating His presence, anxiously awaiting time with him....intimately telling him our hopes, dreams, and desires innocently. Oh how I loved that moment that I wasn't even apart of! I long to prance up to my Savior and have no one else in the world matter. Having his full attention and listening ear. Knowing that he knows me! Knowing that he wouldn't wag his finger and wrinkle his brow in disappointment or think, "you want what?!". Nor would he say, "I saw you push your sister and not listen to your mom.". Unfortunately the latter is usually the relationship we have.....I have.
I also appreciate some of the lessons Santa teaches us. I mean did you get EVERYTHING you asked for?! Nope, me either. And let me tell you that MarKay is not getting a bunny.....Santa shows us a truth about God that even if we ask for something we think we need, it just might not happen. He also, sees us when we're sleeping, he knows when we're awake.... He know if we've been bad or good......but we don't have to be good for goodness sake! Sorry that was the corny part of this post.....but really, isn't that a relief?! How many times did you hear your mom or teacher say, "santa's watching," when you were being naughty? Then the threat, you aren't going to be blessed with Santa's gifts.....
I personally can't wait to explain to my kids to remember the feelings they felt, the magic, the mystery and adoration for Santa during the holidays....then explain to them that God loves you just like that but better. Better because He's always there for you, no matter the time of year AND He won't give you everything you want (because he knows better, blah, blah, blah) AND you don't have to be good, He still will love and bless you because He loves you no matter what!
So thank you God for the truths you taught me through the eyes of my child and the white beard of Santa. I strive to be like a child again and believe....I mean really believe.
Love it!
ReplyDeleteI thought the same things as a debated whether or not to introduce the whole idea of Santa to Andrew. I thought about his disappointment when he finds out he's not real, but then I thought about what a way to then remind him of Jesus. Jesus who is very much real who sees you when you're sleeping and knows when you're awake. Who we have a direct line to everyday of the year. He blesses us with gifts daily. Andrew knows the real reason for Christmas. But I allow him to blieve in Santa for the fun of it and find that in turn I can use the expectations of Santa to explain what we receive in believing in Jesus. So glad you shared this as I thought I might be reaching in my rationalization. But glad to have a friend on the same page.
ReplyDeleteLeliani
Thanks girl!
DeleteIt was really strange when I didn't know where I stood on the Santa thing...but it's great to have support from amazing mothers of God like you to support me! I love going through life with you! Xoxo