Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Trying for a boy.......



Ok don't get excited.....there is an explanation for the title of this blog.

I have been quite surprised how often I am getting this question.
Poor unsuspecting people see my two girls and ask if we are going to
give it that one last shot and try for a boy. I'm quite thrown off
because I have had a boy. Then it dawns on me....my son will always
be apart of me and he exists in my family but there is no physical
representation of him. No one else can see him or even knows about
him. But from my perspective, he is the single most impacting event
in my life. So the question is, how do I answer this question? Poor
unsuspecting people are not prepared for me to unleash my dead son's
story on them but if I don't mention him I feel that I'm ignoring his
existence. I guess there isn't a solution to this, just another unknown piece to this life puzzle.

Rats

The other day I ended up watching Hoarders, the animal episode. I rarely choose to watch Hoarders because I'm disturbed by it deeply. I don't know what it is but I can't fathom how someone can live in the mess. The episode I saw was about a guy who lived in his house and welcomed rats as his pets. He didn't have a ton of stuff in his house but he fed and housed at least a thousand rats. They were crawling in the walls, in every room and perhaps the most disturbing, in the mattress where he slept. He never cleaned up their feces or urine and really didn't mind it. He loved the rats, they were his friend, his everything. As the therapist was going through the house she was processing everything with him. She knew he had an unhealthy strong attachment to the rats. She brought to his attention that he had lost his wife and found her dead in a traumatic way. She said that he never had dealt with this pain and he was using the rats to cover up or replace the affection he would no longer be able to give his wife. This episode has stuck with me. I had been so judge mental of this man and how he could possibly let his life get to be this way. I mean rats.....the filthiest thing you can think of.....in your bed!?! Unreal. Or is it?

Reflecting on my life, I have rats too. They take a different form. There are things/pain that I don't want to deal with, things I mask. Things I have lived with for so long, I call them friend. I sleep with these thoughts as they nestle themselves in my mattress or crawl up on my pillow. More importantly than that, they are so hard to get rid of that they manifest themselves and multiply to where they take over. I think I have never seen this or noticed it because I was so used to living with them. Then one day, when my life changed forever, I saw them. Going through and "cleaning house" has been hard work and so painful. Taking off "the mask" has left some open wounds and vulnerable emotions. There are vacant and lonely holes in the walls where they used to reside. The stench and soiled stains are still there. You may be asking, what are my rats? They are a lot of things.....self doubt, fear, anger, bitterness, shame, pride, and many more. Who knows, there might be some even now that I can't see but one day will.

Another huge impact this particular episode left on me is the fact that they got most of the rats out by exposing them to light. The rats hid and flourished in the darkness but were rendered ineffective in the light. Wow this is so true for us. What is the light? The light is truth. I'm not really all those things I believe about myself, but I have kept them in the darkness and have let it take residence in my life. As hard as it is, I want to expose it, show light to them and rid myself of the lies. I want you to see my rat infested house so that I'm not in the darkness giving power to the filth. Yet in such a strange way, those thoughts are my friends, I love them. So I continue to shine light and cage them up and say goodbye to them as I rebuild my foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment